^Step 1: Add Newsela to your ClassLink Portal #omit-nav
- In ClassLink, go to the App Library.
- Find Newsela. You will see two versions of the Newsela app:
- Click the + Add button next to the relevant Newsela OAuth icon.
- Schools and districts that will store Newsela usernames and passwords in Classlink should select the Newsela SSO icon. You can learn more about this option here.
- Newsela will now appear in your ClassLink portal.
^Step 2: Add Newsela to Roster Server #omit-nav
- From the Dashboard, navigate to Applications.
- Click the Add Applications button.
- Find Newsela and click the + Add button next to Newsela.
- Select full permissions.
^Data requirements #omit-nav
All users, including students, need to have emails in ClassLink. Emails serve as unique IDs for all users. If your school or district does not use student emails, you can construct unique IDs using your email domain to serve as unique IDs.
^How does Newsela’s ClassLink integration work? #omit-nav
Newsela imports and updates data when users sign in. When a teacher signs in for the first time, Newsela create their account, import their classes, and adds students. When a student signs in for the first time, Newsela creates their account. Newsela does not import data from ClassLink in bulk, so users need to sign into Newsela from ClassLink consistently to keep their accounts current.
^How can I confirm the Newsela-ClassLink sync is working? #omit-nav
If you want to check that the process is working as expected, we recommend asking a few users to sign in to confirm that they can sign in and see classes.
^What type should I select? Oath2? SFTP? #omit-nav
Selecting the type is not a required step. If you’re prompted to select type on the Edit Application page, close the page and add Newsela from the App Library.
^How do I share my tenant id, key, or secret with Newsela? #omit-nav
You do not need to share your tenant id, key, or secret with Newsela. Newsela automatically receives these credentials from ClassLink when you set up the integrations.
^Additional Information #omit-nav
For additional details, please review these ClassLink articles: