Using Canvas with Newsela requires system administrator setup. If your school or district uses Canvas, your users will sign into Newsela from Canvas.
^Step 1: Request the Integration #omit-nav
A district or school Canvas system administrator should contact Newsela through this form to schedule a Canvas integration call. When submitting the form, enter "Canvas Integration Request" as your subject.
^Step 2: Set Up the Integration #omit-nav
A member of the Newsela team will walk you throught these steps during the Canvas integration call.
- Sign into Canvas as a system administrator.
- Generate an access token by navigating to Account → Settings and generating an access token. In the New Access Token screen, leave the expiration date blank.
- In Canvas, navigate to Admin → Settings → Apps
- Click View App Configurations
- Click Add App
- In the Add App screen select By URL as the Configuration Type. Enter the Consumer Key and Shared Secret generated earlier. In the Config URL field, enter https://static.newsela.com/eduapp/newsela.xml
^How does Newsela’s Canvas integration work? #omit-nav
Newsela’s Canvas integration supports single sign-on and rostering from Canvas. Accounts are created automatically the first time a user clicks on the Newsela link in the Canvas course navigation. Each time a teacher clicks on the Newsela icon in Canvas, courses are automatically created and rostered in Newsela. You can find information for resolving class import issues on this page.
^How can I confirm that the Newsela-Canvas sync is working? #omit-nav
If you want to check that the process is working as expected, we recommend asking a few users to sign in to confirm that they can sign in and see classes.
^Additional Information #omit-nav
For additional details, please review these Canvas articles: