All teachers, administrators, and students can create Newsela accounts. If you have a PRO subscription, the correct access will be added based on the school the teacher or administrator selects. To get started, select the option that your school or district uses (or if you don’t know, select the “I don’t know” option).
Teachers create and roster classes for their own accounts by following these steps. Administrators and any other staff members with valid school email addresses can create accounts in the same way.
Teachers create and roster classes for their own accounts by following these steps. They can choose whether to import a Google Classroom roster or to roster classes within Newsela. Administrators and any other staff members with a valid school email address can create accounts in the same way.
Using Clever with Newsela requires administrator setup. Your users can log in with their Clever credentials at newsela.com or navigate to Newsela from your Clever portal.
Setting up the Integration:
- Navigate to Newsela’s page in the Clever App Gallery: https://clever.com/app-gallery/newsela-pro
- Click on “install” and follow the prompts.
- Share your data with Newsela.
- Review the fields you’re sharing and confirm they align with Newsela’s Required Clever Fields (see more details in the yellow box below).
- Review the Data Warnings section. If you have Data Warnings, resolve them.
- Once you share your data, it will take the Newsela team approximately a week to review your information and launch your Clever Newsela integration.
User accounts will be created automatically the first time a user logs into Newsela via Clever.
Each time a teacher logs into Newsela via Clever, classes will be automatically rostered.
For additional details, please review these Clever articles:
- Clever: How do I add or remove an application?
- Clever: How do I set my sharing permissions for applications?
Required Clever Fields: When sharing data with Newsela, make sure that you share the following fields. Not sharing all of these fields will result in errors during the student and teacher experience.
Required School Fields: Name, Street, City, State, Zip code
Required Student Fields: First name, Last name, School, Date of birth, Grade. Email is optional but strongly encouraged for data validation
Required Teacher and School Admin Fields: First name, Last name, School, Email (must be unique)
Required Section Fields: Class name, School, Grade, Teacher(s), Student(s)
Required District Admin Fields (for District Binder access): First name, Last name, Unique email
Using Canvas with Newsela requires administrator setup. If your school or district uses Canvas, your users will log into Newsela from Canvas.
Note: It is very important that teachers do not appear on Canvas rosters as students. Importing teachers in this manner will limit their ability to access teacher functionality.
Setting up the Integration:
- Log into Canvas as a system administrator.
- Generate an access token by navigating to “Account” → “Settings” and generating an access token. In the New Access Token screen, leave the expiration date blank.
- Generate a key and secret for your organization by navigating to https://newsela.com/api/v2/edu-app/ and entering your access token in the “Admin Account API Token” field.
- Add the Newsela App to your Canvas instance
- In Canvas, navigate to “Admin” → “Settings” → “Apps”
- Click “View App Configurations”
- Click “Add App”
- In the “Add App” screen select By URL as the Configuration Type. Enter the Consumer Key and Shared Secret generated earlier. In the “Config URL” field, enter https://static.newsela.com/eduapp/newsela.xml
Users access Newsela by navigating to “Courses” → “Newsela”. Accounts are created automatically the first time a user clicks on the Newsela link in Canvas.
Each time a teacher clicks on the Newsela icon in Canvas, courses are automatically created and rostered in Newsela.
For additional details, please review these Canvas articles:
- Canvas: How do I obtain an API access token for an account?
- Canvas: How do I configure an external app for an account using a URL?
Teachers create and roster classes for their own accounts by following these steps. Administrators and any other staff members with a valid school email address can create accounts in the same way.
Using ClassLink with Newsela requires administrator setup. Follow the steps in these ClassLink support articles:
^I don't know. #omit-nav
Teachers and students at all schools can create Newsela accounts by going to newsela.com and clicking Join. If your priority is getting started right now, you can have teachers choose that option.
However, teachers can only use one of these options at a time, so it's important to get started with the right one. If your school or district might be using one of the integration options above, we suggest asking your tech administrator. It may be possible to roster classes automatically for your teachers with one of these integration options, or this may have already been done for you at the district level. Some districts may have their own names for these integration options (such as “Our District Portal” instead of “Clever”).
Note: You can also contact us and we’ll let you know if we have a record of a preferred integration option for your school or district. If your school or district needs to change integrations or is considering multiple integrations, please contact us so we can help you find the best solution.