Some Newsela educators, in schools without automatic student rostering, are eligible for a beta feature that allows them to input their students' names, for account creation.
To manually add students to your Newsela class:
- Hover over your name in the top-right corner of the Newsela page and click Classes.
- Add your first class by typing in a class name, selecting a grade, and clicking Add Class.
- Click the Add Students button.
- Now, you can start typing your students' first and last names. Tip: Many Newsela educators make students' usernames consistent by using student ID numbers. Click Add New Student.
- If a student already has a Newsela account at your school, the student will appear once you start typing their name, as below. You can add that student by clicking Add Existing Student.
- Once you finish adding students, you're able to Print Students, which will print out the list of usernames and passwords. If navigate away from this page, you won't be able to print this list out anymore.
Adding students on behalf of other teachers
If you're in a role supporting multiple classrooms with different teachers, you can also create multiple classes on behalf of teachers. Follow the steps above, then add the teachers as co-teachers.