Student Reading Clubs are Newsela classes hosted by Newsela Educator Specialists. By entering the Class Code or Class Link, any student can join these clubs, and they will receive article assignments for the duration of the club.
The #TrendingIn2016 Club will help students practice close reading and writing skills through some of the year's most popular articles, about topics from Pokémon Go to the Olympics. Nine Newsela articles will be assigned with annotations and Write prompts over a 3-week period (Dec. 19 to Jan. 8).
How your students can join (it only takes a minute!)
- Students can join the #TrendingIn2016 Club by entering this Class Code: NRN6FR
- Alternatively, students can join the #TrendingIn2016 Club by going to this Class Link: https://newsela.com/join/#/NRN6FR
- If your students already have Newsela accounts, have them sign in and join using the Class Code or Class Link.
- If your students don't have Newsela accounts, have them go to Newsela, click Sign up, select Yes when asked Are you joining a teacher's class? and then enter the Class Code.
- More detailed instructions on how students join classes here.
Articles will be assigned on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings.
Week One: Monday, Dec. 19 - Friday, Dec. 23
Week Two: Monday, Dec. 26 - Friday, Dec. 30
Week Three: Monday, Jan. 2 - Friday, Jan. 6
- Article: They're rolling in rainbow dough - but at a cost to the neighborhood
- Write prompt: Think of something that you use every day that could become more popular if you changed one thing about it, like changing the color of a bagel. Describe how you would change the item. Do you think it would be more or less successful than the colorful bagel? Why?
- Sample annotation: Before reading the rest of the article, make a prediction about why the line is so long.
All articles that will be assigned to this Reading Club are in this Text Set.