Student Reading Clubs are Newsela classes hosted by Newsela Educator Specialists. By entering the Class Code or Class Link, any student can join these clubs, and they will receive article assignments for the duration of the club.
The Main Idea Masters Club will help students strengthen their ability to identify central ideas and key supporting details through a variety of high-interest articles. Nine Newsela articles will be assigned with annotations and Write prompts over a 3-week period (Nov. 21 to Dec. 11).
How your students can join (it only takes a minute!)
- Students can join the Main Idea Masters Club by entering this Class Code: 96QU3N
- Alternatively, students can join the Main Idea Masters Club by going to this Class Link: https://newsela.com/join/#/96QU3N
- If your students already have Newsela accounts, have them sign in and join using the Class Code or Class Link.
- If your students don't have Newsela accounts, have them go to Newsela, click Sign up, select Yes when asked Are you joining a teacher's class? and then enter the Class Code.
- Students join classes by going to the Class Link or entering the Class Code on their classes page. More detailed instructions here.
Articles will be assigned every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 10AM EST.
Week One: Monday, Nov. 21 - Friday, Nov. 25.
Week Two: Monday, Nov. 28 - Friday, Dec. 2.
Week Three: Monday, Dec. 4 - Friday, Dec. 9.
- Article: Astronomers discover planets that could support human life
- Write prompt: Welcome to the Main Idea Masters Club! Pick a detail from this article that seems important to you. Explain how it helps you understand the bigger ideas in the article.
- Sample annotation: Highlight in GREEN the sentence that best explains why scientists think these planets might support human life.