Use these 6 guiding questions provided by American Press Institute to analyze any article on the site:
- Type: What kind of content is this — news, opinion, advertising or something else?
- Source: Who and what are the sources cited, and why should I believe them?
- Evidence: What’s the evidence and how was it vetted?
- Interpretation: Is the main point of the piece proven by the evidence?
- Completeness: What’s missing?
- Knowledge: Is there an issue here that I want to learn more about and where could I do that?
When students have completed the article and answered the questions above, they should reflect on whose perspective is closest to their own. They should justify their reflection with evidence from the text and their notes to the questions above.