Texas teachers can now review Newsela article content and quiz assessments aligned to Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). Educators will be able to review standard performance and help prepare students with assessments aligned to STAAR questions for each grade level.
Review this guide to:
- Change standards to Common Core
- Learn how to refine your search for TEKS
- Review Quiz STAAR alignment
- Review TEKS mastery
Re-Align to Common Core
Educators can change the standard alignment from TEKS to Common Core Learning Standards. You will need to refresh your page after this preference is saved.
- Hover over your name in the Search and Navigation bar at the top and choose PROFILE.
- Beside Reading Standards, click Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills.
- Click SAVE. Refresh your page after you click save.
Searching for TEKS
When searching for an article on Newsela, refine your search to review articles that align to a particular TEKS standard. This will be one of the standards assessed on the Quiz.
- Click Search Newsela on the Search and Navigation bar at the top.
- Enter the term, subject, or keyword you want to search. As you type, Newsela displays articles and text sets that match your search term(s).
- Use the check boxes in the READING STANDARD section to find articles with quizzes that assess the specific TEK reading standards you want.
Review Quiz STAAR Alignment
When previewing the Quiz at each level, note the connections to common STAAR questions. To see more connections, view the PDF attached at the end of this article.
Review TEKS Mastery
Use you Teacher Binder to review Class and individual student strengths and opportunities for growth by TEKS.
- Hover over your name in the Search and Navigation bar at the top and choose CLASSES.
- Use the All Reading Standards drop-down menu to choose a TEK standard.
- Choose a class and click Expand to View All Student Activity.