Newsela Anchor Standard
- Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.
Newsela PRO Applications
- Use Annotations to support understanding of vocabulary in Quiz questions.
Tip: Share Annotations with students with sample questions.
- What word(s) stand out? Why?
- How do particular words get us to look at events in a particular way? Do they evoke an emotion?
- Did the author use any nonstandard words? What is the effect?
- Are there any words that could have more than one meaning?
- Adapted from: Closing in on Close Reading by Nancy Boyles
- Focus on root words - Teach prefixes, suffixes, and affixes.
- Multiple Intelligence Approach - Have students act out, sing/clap out, draw, imagine a picture (Source: Thomas Armstrong).
- Frayer Model- Write out word in their own words and create an image of the word.
- Create a word wall with a collection of all new vocabulary.
- Edtech resources:
For examples of each Newsela strategy, download the attached PDF.