Are you a student looking to join a Reading Club? Check out our Camp Newsela: Student Edition.
In collaboration with educators and parents working to promote and foster student literacy over the summer, we are offering Camp Newsela. A team of educators at Newsela will host seven different classes and assign two articles per week for 10 weeks beginning on Monday, June 13 and ending Friday, August 19.
How students get started
Students can join one or more of the following Reading Club (Classes on Newsela). Joining is easy. Follow these steps:
- Students just need to log in or create an account on Newsela. (Our Quick Start Guide for Students goes over how students create accounts and join classes.)
- To join a Reading Club, students need to navigate to newsela.com/join/.
- Once there, they enter one of the Newsela Class Codes below.
|Newsela Class Code||Class description|
|Kid Heroes Club||HEROES||Articles about kids making big impacts in their communities and beyond.|
|Animals Club||ANIMAL||These stories will explore the animal world: how they live in the wild and how they sometimes do human jobs.|
|Politics Club||EL2016||With Election 2016 approaching, these stories will help you stay informed over the summer.|
|Space Club||2SPACE||These stories will help you escape Earth's atmosphere with articles that are out of this world.|
|Strong-of-Stomach Club||STRONG||These stories will make your stomach turn, but they're so interesting you won't be able to stop reading.|
|Technology Club||TECHNO||Stories all about gadgets, gizmos, and the latest in technology.|
|Spanish Club||SPCLUB||These are the most popular stories in Newsela Español.|
Newsela for iOS
If students have access to iOS devices, they can now download the free Newsela for iOS app for Camp Newsela. The app will allow students to receive instant notifications of assigned articles, while also being able to read articles and complete quizzes right from the iOS device. To download the app, click here.
How it works
- Students log in to Newsela and join one or more of the Newsela-hosted Reading Clubs listed below.
- Every Monday and Wednesday, educators at Newsela will assign one article that falls under the theme of the Reading Club.
- Students read each assigned article and take the quiz.
- When the Camp Newsela ends on Friday, August 19, we'll calculate how many students have read and completed at least 80% of the assignments and achieved a score of at least 2 of 4 on the quizzes.
- The winning Reading Clubs will be offered the chance to vote to contribute towards a DonorsChoose project.
For additional questions and answers, check our our Camp Newsela FAQ.