All About National Reading Month: Paired Texts, Paired Classrooms
Exclusive opportunity for PRO Educators
In celebration of National Reading Month, Newsela’s Paired Texts, Paired Classrooms event brings our Newsela Community together like never before. Our goal is to provide a unique virtual opportunity for students to connect with a classroom of peers from another part of the country.
Participating educators will:
- Choose one of three paired texts for your students to read:
- Climate change
- Wildlife (also available in Spanish)
- Women in the workplace (also available in Spanish)
Participating classrooms will:
- Read both articles in their assigned paired text.
- Think critically about the articles and topics using the provided discussion questions and Write prompts.
- Actively engage in the virtual discussion with the partnered classroom also attending.
Join the Conversation: Cultivating Close Reading Webinar
During National Reading Month, educators are invited to join a series of conversations about close reading strategies in the classroom. Educators will explore the applications of the Newsela PRO Annotation feature to help their students improve on specific reading standards.
- Wednesday March 2 at 6:30 EST : Conversations with PRO Educators on incorporating Paired Texts, Paired Classrooms with their students
- Thursday March 10 at 3:30 EST : Close Reading Feature : Strategies for Central Idea and Word Meaning & Choice
- Thursday March 24 at 6:30 EST : Close Reading Feature : Strategies for What the Text Says and Text Structure
- Wednesday March 30 at 6:30 EST : Conversations with PRO Educators - Follow up on Paired Texts, Paired Classrooms
When registering you will be invited to the complete the entire series which will allow you to receive a record of each session.
Have additional questions regarding Newsela’s Paired Texts, Paired Classrooms event? Check out our FAQ page.