Test it Out: Hypothesis
In this series of lessons, our Newsela Community team of teachers explores the topic of student testing from an interdisciplinary perspective. This is a great opportunity for students to investigate a current event with multiple teachers and content areas. To view and edit the full lesson open the PDF or .docx below.
Newsela Reading Standards
- Word Meaning and Choice
- SWBAT obtain, evaluate, and communicate information BY discussing methods and problems in the articles about testing
- SWBAT engage in arguments from evidence BY working in pairs to analyze the article.
- SWBAT construct explanation and design solution for the problem BY creating a sample experiment based on the article
- To evaluate means to judge.
- Facts can be proven to be true.
- Opinions are statements someone believe to be true, but isn’t always true.
- To evaluate, you have to read closely and ask yourself the key question every time you read the paragraph.
- To design effective solutions, you have to think of multiple different solutions and then pick the one solution that best meet the criteria for that problem.
- A hypothesis is an educated guess.