Controversy in the US: Flag Debate
Students will be able to discuss issues that are currently going on in the real world and deepen their understanding of the controversy surrounding them.To view and edit the full lesson open the PDF or .docx below.
- History: U.S. History, Government, Civics
- Lawmakers, Republican candidates split over Confederate flag display (1180L)
- Black artist's Confederate flag mutates, adapts, morphs into art (1120L)
NOTE: Articles should be read at MAX level.
Learning Objective and Essential Questions
Students will be able to discuss issues that are currently going on in the real world and deepen their understanding of the controversy surrounding them.
They will also be able to answer the following Essential Questions using Newsela Write:
- What is the controversy surrounding the Confederate flag?
- What role does a nation’s history play in its present?
- How can people’s point of view about the past affect how a nation moves forward?
Common Core Standards for Social Studies:
Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary of how key events or ideas develop over the course of the text.
Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including vocabulary describing political, social, or economic aspects of history/social science.
Compare and contrast treatments of the same topic in several primary and secondary sources.
Tell us what you think
We are always looking to improve our lesson plans. Click here to take a short survey.