It Cost What!? Cost of Living
It costs what? In this lesson students will apply their understanding of expressions and equations to discuss the impact of minimum wage on the cost of living. Students will use the content from the Newsela article to create expressions to find the differences in minimum wage. To view and edit the full lesson open the PDF or .docx below.
- Math: Expressions and Equations
- Los Angeles City Council clears way for minimum wage of $15 an hour: (1050L)
- Cost of living:compare cities: Interactive city to city comparison
- Students will be able to…identify the cost of living by solving equations.
- Students will be able to…identify the impact and differences in the cost of living in our cities.
- Students will be able to…identify the the minimum wage needed to live in a given city or compare the difference needed in wages earned using equations from variables in a text.
Write expressions that record operations with numbers and with letters standing for numbers.
Use variables to represent numbers and write expressions when solving a real-world or mathematical problem; understand that a variable can represent an unknown number, or, depending on the purpose at hand, any number in a specified set.
Tell us what you think
We are always looking to improve our lesson plans. Click here to take a short survey.