Summarizing Understanding the Contribution of Chinese Immigrants
This lesson will expand understanding of the Chinese immigrant experience. Students will read an article about Chinese immigrants who came to our country to help build the transcontinental railway. Next students will be looking for evidence to support the central idea of the text and using key words and phrases when Highlighting on Newsela. To view and edit the full lesson open the PDF or .docx below.
- History: US History, Immigration, China
- Today I am learning…to use key words and phrases to write a summary.
- So I can…summarize an article authentically and avoid plagiarism.
- I know I understand when…I can write a 1-2 paragraph summary of the article.
- Students will be able to…write a summary of an article using key words and phrases in the text.
Determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources.
Tell us what you think
We are always looking to improve our lesson plans. Click here to take a short survey.