Understanding the Contribution of Chinese Immigrants
This lesson will expand understanding of the Chinese immigrant experience. Students will read an article about Chinese immigrants who came to our country to help build the transcontinental railway. Next students will be looking for evidence to support the central idea of the text and using key words and phrases when Highlighting on Newsela. To view and edit the full lesson open the PDF or .docx below.
- History: US History, Immigration, China
- Today I am learning…to determine the key details which support the central idea of a text.
- So I can…assess if the evidence supports the claim.
- I know I understand when…I can identify the key words and phrases which support the central idea.
- Students will be able to…identify the key words and phrases in the text which support the central idea of the text.
Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
Determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
Tell us what you think
We are always looking to improve our lesson plans. Click here to take a short survey.