Sweet Taste of Success
In this lesson, students will read an inspiring story about a young girl, Mikaila, who started a lemonade stand that has become very successful. Mikaila was involved in a project called “Lemonade Day”. Students will then find the Central Idea using the 5W's (who, what, where, when, why). To view and edit the full lesson open the PDF or .docx below.
- ELA: Central Idea, Summary, Reading Informational Texts
- Math: Proportions, Percents, Ratios, Profit
Featured Newsela Article
- Today I am learning…to identify a central idea in a text.
- So I can…understand the main idea of the text.
- I know I understand when…I can identify the 5 W’s and use this information to state the claim (main idea) of the text.
- Students will be able to…state the claim by identifying and compiling the 5 W’s of the text into 1-2 sentences.
CCSS. ELA-LITERACY RL.2
Determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
Tell us what you think
We are always looking to improve our lesson plans. Click here to take a short survey.