What is writing at a higher level?
Help increase your students writing abilities with a connection to high interest current events. Students will develop text based writing strategies that they will practice throughout their academic career. To view and edit the full lesson open the PDF or .docx below.
- English: Writing, Citing Evidence
- Today I will…compare one article at different lexile levels, I will identify the techniques an author uses to convey the meaning of a text at a higher level.
- So I can…identify the techniques an author uses to push their writing to the next level.
- I know I understand when…I am able to identify and name these techniques or strategies. (Ideas: work with as team or in a triad to create the techniques list).
- I will meet mastery level…when I am able to utilize and apply these techniques into my own writing. (long-term goal).
RI.6.4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings.
RI.6.5 Analyze how a particular sentence, paragraph, chapter, or section fits into the overall structure of a text and contributes to the development of the ideas
W.6.4-Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
W.6.5 With some guidance and support from peers and adults, develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
L.6.3 Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
L.6.3.a Vary sentence patterns for meaning, reader/listener interest, and style.*
L.6.6 Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.
Tell us what you think
We are always looking to improve our lesson plans. Click here to take a short survey.