Thanks for joining Newsela! We'll help your children become stronger readers and get them started reading articles immediately. It will only take a few minutes to get everything set up. Please keep in mind that this will be a separate account that allows you to be connected to your child but will not connect you to your child’s school. Our readers should be using the accounts they already created at school, but if they don't have accounts already you'll be able to help them create accounts by sharing your Class Link (Step 2).
Step 1. Register for Newsela
The first step is to create your own account. This account allows you to log in to Newsela each day to assign articles to your child.
- Go to www.newsela.com.
- Click SIGN UP.
- Choose I'm an Educator.
- Click No you aren't a faculty member at a K-12 school.
- Choose one of the following options for creating your Newsela account:
Option 1: Sign up with Newsela.
a. Enter your first and last name, email address, and a password.
b. Click Get Started.
Option 2: Sign up with Google.
a. Click Sign up with Google.
b. Log in to your Google account if you aren't already logged in.
c. Click Allow on the Google authentication page.
- Choose Parent under What's your role?.
- Choose a country under Where are you from?.
- Enter your zip code.
- Click Finish.
- Verify your email address to begin using Newsela. To change your email address or if you need another verification email, use the links on the verification page.
Step 2. Add Your Child
Newsela has already created a class for your child to join in your Settings page.
- Hover over your name in the Search and Navigation bar at the top and choose STUDENTS.
- Click Invite Students.
- Share the Class Link or Class Code with your child.
NOTE: Click the Quick-Start Guide for directions on walking your child through the registration process.
Step 3. Assign Articles
Assigning articles allows you to encourage your child to read and engage with Newsela.
- Click LIBRARY or NEWS on the Search and Navigation bar at the top.
- Browse the Latest News articles or use the NARROW YOUR CHOICES options to view articles for a specific grade, reading standard, publication, or language.
- Click the article you want to assign.
- Click Assign at the top left and select a class.
- Click Assign.