Newsela now integrates with Canvas! To turn this on for your school or district, please have your IT admin follow these steps to activate Newsela within Canvas:
IMPORTANT NOTES BEFORE GETTING STARTED
- If you are currently using a different rostering solution with Newsela, for example Google Classrooms or Clever, please reach out to email@example.com, before installing Canvas and we can help you find the best solution for your school or district.
- It is very important teachers do not appear on Canvas rosters as students. Importing teachers in this manner will limit their ability to access teacher functionality.
- Login to your Canvas administrative account.
- From the Account section in Canvas, generate a new access token (instructions here). Feel free to leave the expiration date blank.
- From Newsela’s eduappcenter listing, generate a key and secret for your organization.
- From the Admin section in Canvas, add the Newsela app to your organization (instructions here).
- Select By URL as the Configuration Type
- Consumer Key and Shared Secret were generated in step 3
- The configuration URL can be found in the “Configuration URL” field in the eduappcenter listing.
- You’re done!
Your teachers and students should now:
- See a Newsela link in the left-hand navigation in Canvas
- Get automatically logged into Newsela when they click that link, using Canvas for single sign-on (SSO)
- Have rostering information synced to Newsela